om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] It's alive!

From: Atte André Jensen
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] It's alive!
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:02:15 +0200

Dave Robillard wrote:

> Blue is audio rate and green is control rate.

As I guessed :-)

> You can convert control

> to audio through the ladspa 'Control to Audio rate interpolator' (or whatever), but the other way around doesn't really make sense.

I think it does! Upsampling vs downsampling.

I do realize that zipper noise might appear if the control rate of for instance a fast amplitude envelope is too low. That's why it would be more flexible to have adjustable contaolrate. This is one of the ways csound gets it's speed.

> I've been meaning to put a little legend in the status bar at the bottom of the patch window. Good idea?

Nope, not needed...

> LADSPA is a little bit lacking in the dept. of audio rate signals intended for control, which is what modular synths are all about.. hopefully LADSPA2 can address this. Many new users have this problem, but it's basically unavoidable. :/

I still don't see why users should be kept from using controlrate.

> An audio rate signal is an entire buffer of values (say, 512, or whatever your jack buffer size is), but a control rate signal is just a single value for each block. Once proper end user documentation exists, I'll try to explain this well..

I guessed all that (except that controlrate is locked to jack buffersize) from how things work in csound, no need (for me at least) for an explanation...

--
  .''`.  Peace, love & harmony
 : :' :  Atte