om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] Patchage Restore Window (patchage-CVS-20050721)

From: Esben Stien
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] Patchage Restore Window (patchage-CVS-20050721)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 06:51:16 +0200

Chris McCormick <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm afraid I disagree completely.

;), I shouldn't say it's wrong, but it's the preferred way, in my
 opinion and it's the common practice for the gnome environment.

> It is most certainly the job of the window manager (and not
> individual applications) to maintain the positions and sizes of
> windows.

F.ex Nautilus saves window position per "folder". Apps can open more
than hundred windows and I think it's in our best interest if apps
support session management.

I think apps are supposed to talk to gnome-session (xsmp?) or do the
positioning themselves.

In any case, it's not the window managers job, even though it might
seem like it (icccm).

When apps rely on the window manager to do this, gnome people use
devils pie or beg the developer to fix it;).

--
Esben Stien is address@hidden     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m