Re: [Openexr-devel] file conversion tools?

From: Richard Annema
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] file conversion tools?
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 19:08:45 +0200

Hi Axel,

Though it's hardly command line, there's not really many options out there.
Through 3ds max and our plugins it would be possible to convert between the
formats.
However, you should keep in mind whether it is worth doing so.

RGBe and LogLuv TIFF have different colorspace mappings (in essence, lossy
on first encoding) than OpenEXR. So converting to OpenEXR gains you no
actual image information. You do, of course, gain all the other advantages
of the OpenEXR format.
Conversely, converting from OpenEXR to the other formats will likely result
in quality loss, and you would most certainly lose all the other advantages
(alpha channel support, for example. RGBe has none).

The only reason I could see for doing the latter at all is to be able to
load the file in an application that does not yet support OpenEXR. I think
the 'better' thing to do there may be to write the developers and point them
to openexr.org and this 'devel' mailing list so that they could add support
directly. I understand the reality that implementation might take more time
than you have available for your conversion process, though.

Best regards,
Richard Annema
Director of Client Relations
SplutterFish, LLC