Re: [Openexr-devel] file conversion tools?

From: Paul Nolan
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] file conversion tools?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:53 +0100 (BST)

Axel,

> I just wanted to convert a hand full of rgbe/tiff files to exr since I
> am working on a viewer application for large OpenEXR environment maps.
> We tried to convert a 300M rgbe file with a Photogenics trial (I think
> thats what it was called) but after about 10 Minutes of loading on a
> +500M RAM box running Windows we ran "out of memory" :-(.

Photogenics HDR 6.0 that you downloaded converts 32 bit per pixel RBGE
files to 96 bit per pixel floating point format to work on, plus allocates
an undo buffer and a paint layer, so would prefer to have a little bit
over 2GB to work on a 300MB RGBE file.  Try increasing your swap file size
to 3GB or so, and er, put the kettle on.  It does support batch converting
files if you wanted to convert the whole lot in one go.  There is a new
version of Photogenics in the works that uses much less RAM, I can let you
try a Windows beta if you are interested, or a Linux beta will be compiled
later in the week.

Thanks,

Paul Nolan, CEO Idruna Software Inc.
http://www.idruna.com