Re: [Openexr-devel] keycode

From: Kevin Wheatley
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] keycode
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:56:48 +0100

Ken McGaugh wrote:
> We want to store film keycode information in our exr's, and before I
> decide what header attribute(s) to create for this I wanted to
> know if anybody else is doing this already.  If so, what type and
> names did you choose for your header attributes.
>
> I was hoping to embed the keycode information into one string attribute
> rather than 5 attributes of various types is is done in DPX/cineon files.

timecode ?
framerate ?

soon you'll end up with cut down DPX format that supports HDR and
compression ... with a decent reference implementation.

That idea sounds silly, I mean who on earth would want such a thing
:-)

(For the irony deprived, that's a yes)

If your going to encode it, do you want the numeric encoding of the
barcode or the human lettered encoding? I'd go with barcodes, that way
when there is a new stock code you don't care about it. Leave it to
the application to decode it. At which point I'm not sure the string
encoding is worth while.

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd | Nobody thinks this      |
| Senior Technology                     | My employer for certain |