Re: [Openexr-devel] keycode

From: Ken McGaugh
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] keycode
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:18:16 +0100

I'm learning something new every day.  Thank you for this info Dan.

Would it be acceptable to have the filmFormat be a seperate standard
string attribute?  I can think of uses for this attribute that don't
have anything to do with keyCodes.

--Ken

Daniel Fort wrote:

One item that seems to be missing is the film format. The perf offset becomes very important for 35mm 3-perf where the perf-1 foot is 21 frames, perf-2 foot is 21 frames and the perf-3 foot is 22 frames long. You probably won't be too concerned with counting frames and incrementing frame and perf numbers, but knowing the original film format is always a good thing--and there are lots of film formats from 16mm (1-perf) through 65mm IMAX (15-perf). In addition, remember we are not necessarily counting in feet when using keynumbers. 16mm increments the key number twice in one foot.

Perfs per key number:

16mm - 20 perfs
35mm - 64 perfs
65mm - 120 perfs

...  In fact, the struct should probably have a member
function for returning the entire keycode as an ascii string looking
something like

    EH 01 0594 5390 + 12

Don't forget to include the perf offset, something like:

      EH 01 0594 5390 + 12 p2

Like I said, this is necessary on formats like 35mm 3-perf but it should be optional on formats like 16mm, 35mm 4-perf, 35mm 8-perf, 65mm 5-perf, etc.

--Dan