Re: [Openexr-devel] EXIF meta data attributes in headers

From: Thomas Mansencal
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] EXIF meta data attributes in headers
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 01:49:27 +0200

I kind of agree with Brendan on that one, in a same way nothing would prevent having conflicting EXIF XMP data in a tif file with the EXIF data of that very same file. It actually happens quite often, a lot of attributes are redundant and are not formatted the same way, I think about the lens names or shutter speed for instance.

Hombre: I actually posted the initial thread on RT forum for EXR :) Glad to see you on that here!

KS

Thomas Mansencal | thomasmansencal.com
[  thomasmansencal.blogspot.com  |  github.com/KelSolaar  ]

2013/7/19 Brendan Bolles <address@hidden>
On Jul 18, 2013, at 3:08 PM, Larry Gritz wrote:

> If you think any of these are supposed to represent the same data, you can get into problems when an app reads the EXR file, just copies XMP to output, but changes one of the related OpenEXR fields. Then you end up with an output file that has metadata that in some sense contradicts itself.

In most cases I imagine they'll only have one form of metadata coming in and any other EXR attributes they add will be parsed from that source.

For example, I currently get ICC profiles from the Adobe apps, which I then parse out to make Chromaticity attributes.  But an ICC profile can have information that can't be reconstructed from chromaticities, so that's why I embed the whole thing as well.

Anyway, let's not let perfect become the enemy of good.  The benefit of getting more metadata outweighs the risk of getting conflicting metadata, which I would call a bug for the app developer.

Brendan