Re: [Openexr-devel] EXIF meta data attributes in headers

From: Brendan Bolles
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] EXIF meta data attributes in headers
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 18:32:01 -0700

On Jul 18, 2013, at 5:58 PM, Peter Hillman wrote:

> What extra info do you get from the ICC profile?
>
> Allowing ICC profiles worries me. Aren't EXRs supposed to store pixel values
> in "input scene referred linear-light" encoded with the chromaticities
> specified? That means images must be linearised before storing in an EXR.

I think I'll let Lars answer this one.  I guess if there's nothing in a scene
referred linear ICC profile that can't be represented by Chromaticities, then
there's no need for an official ICC profile attribute.

But I'll freely admit that I allow users to write EXR files off-spec.  Not that
I really have any control over it - I get pixels from After Effects and I write
those pixels.  If a user wants to store Rec709 data in an EXR, I'm not going to
stop them.  I know of at least one major studio that does this.

BTW, I'd love for someone to look over my ICC profile to Chromaticity code.  It
seems to work pretty well, except for the XYZ.exr sample file.

https://github.com/fnordware/openexrAE/blob/master/src/FrameSeq_Color.cpp

Brendan