RE: [Openvds-devel] Control Panel for OpenVDS-2

From: Dave Cost
Subject: RE: [Openvds-devel] Control Panel for OpenVDS-2
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 21:38:51 -0800

> After studying vserver this morning (Solucorp's solution to this
> problem), I think I get it.  And I like it.  And he (Jacques GĂ©linas)
> has actually solved some of the problems of dedicated virts in amazingly
> elegant ways--vunify with a sort of 'magic' immutable attribute is just
> a jaw-dropping thing.  I'm going to be playing with the vserver stuff
> over the next few days...I think it is probably worth considering as a
> basis for the next OpenVDS.  It isn't a whole solution, but it sure is
> neat.  No reason not to leverage existing work (while being wary of its
> reliance on kernel patches--I'll have to study them to make sure I can
> maintain those patches on my own in case solucorp bores of maintaining
> them ;-).  I just hope it is more stable than LinuxConf...If so, I'll
> forgive him for hosing my Sendmail configuration the first time I tried
> LinuxConf.

Yep... OpenVDS-2 will be based on those patches. I would love to see them
incorporated in the main kernel tree. They're small enough and easy to
maintain.

Also, the rest of the little utilities can come handy, but like you say, we
need do turn this in a complete product, and this is where openvds is
heading.

After you get a better understanding of how that stuff works, you'll love
it.

Dave.