Re[2]: [Openvds-devel] Control Panel for OpenVDS-2

From: Eje Gustafsson
Subject: Re[2]: [Openvds-devel] Control Panel for OpenVDS-2
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:59:05 -0600

Not sure how I should uhm take your comments. Obviously your not found
of php but you start of with that tuned php is better then poorly
written perl. I'm not a perl guru nor php guru. But by your statement
there I would assume your meaning that UBB is a poorly written perl
bulletin board while VBB is a tuned php bulletin board ?

I personally don't see why php would not be comfortable writing
something like webmin ? webmin is nothing then a collection of perl
scripts that does the job for you. If one could write that in perl you
should be able to do the same thing in php since you have library
files in php just as in perl so commonly used functions you put in the
library just like you would do in perl. (I might not be a perl or php
programer but I hacked/bug tracked quite a few perl and php scripts).

But this is all of little concern. Webmin is written in perl and from
the already prewritten config tools webmin seems the best option.
We have webmin, linuxconf and WebAdmin (freevsd's).
Webadmin isn't as modular as webmin but there we already have a lot of
the basic features running to deal with openvds.
Linuxconf someone said apparently messes with all config files and
rewrites them etc which might not be that a good thing.
webmin has a good modular configuration and a lot of premade features
for a lot of things that might be useful. But to do what we want it to
(at least from what I seen) we would need quite a few modules a few of
them one could probably take preexisting and rewrite them to fit our
needs.

JC> Eje Gustafsson wrote:

>> However I decided if I was going to maybe start do something here I
>> better learn php so I picked up a book about it the other day. And off
>> I go.. -lol-
>> I have one wish that is that webmin used php because php is SOOO much
>> faster then perl. (ever seen the difference between vbb and ubb ? or
>> anything else that is written in php respectivly perl).

JC> Poorly written Perl vs. tuned PHP is hardly any use in deciding
JC> execution efficiency.  Perl is not a slow scripting language and under
JC> many circumstances is faster than PHP (and PHP is faster than perl under
JC> many different circumstances--they are both scripting languages with
JC> niches to fill and people who love them).

JC> More important for OpenVDS, anyway, is not execution efficiency at all
JC> but programmer efficiency.  If speed of execution really mattered it
JC> would have to be written in C/C++...but speed doesn't matter.
JC> Administrative interfaces will have fewer than 15 client connections at
JC> any given moment, even on a virtual server box with hundreds of virts.
JC> It could be written in bash and it would be fast enough...the question
JC> is, what language is more productive.  I would argue that a project as
JC> large as Webmin wouldn't be comfortable in PHP, but that's just picking
JC> nits...Both languages /could/ do the job--but Perl /has/ done the job.
JC> I think something about a bird in the hand being better than two in the
JC> bush applies here.

JC> Besides, PHP is kind of ugly...or maybe I've only seen badly written
JC> PHP.  I reckon it must be possible to write nice PHP or it wouldn't be
JC> so common--or maybe that it's so easy to write PHP (if badly) is the
JC> reason it is so common.  ;-)

Best regards,
 Eje Gustafsson                       mailto:address@hidden
---
The Family Entertainment Network      http://www.fament.com
Phone : 620-231-7777                  Fax   : 620-231-4066
eBay UserID : macahan
          - Your fulltime professionals -