Re: [Openvds-devel] Control Panel for OpenVDS-2

From: Joe Cooper
Subject: Re: [Openvds-devel] Control Panel for OpenVDS-2
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 08:30:03 -0600

Dave Cost wrote:

The only thing I saw in the BSD jail() was locking all communications to a
specific IP address;  currently the default BIND in VSD is the
hosting-servers's IP address, and secondly, there's no checking against
binding against 0.0.0.0  (ie, everyone else's IP too).

This will be addressed in OpenVDS-2. You'll only be able to bind the virtual
address even if you bind 0.0.0.0, in fact this is a major feature that will
allow us to safely install servers with general-purpose configuration file,
exactly by binding 0.0.0.0 ;-)

Mind if I ask how?

Again the BSD jail() is actually relying on *capabilities* offered within
the BSD process system (and the extra entry in the PS struct that ensures
pass-down of the restrictions from father to child.  This would
be a useful
thing to have;  however...

This is the same way linux works. There's a way of dropping capabilites to
child processes that prevent even root from getting them back. Like I said,
root is just another user. Once a capability is dropped, there's no turning
back.

Proving myself to be a nuisance yet again: How? Ok, not how does capabilities go only one way--that I get. How are you logging in the virtual root user and creating a running environment within the chroot? I know (from my reading up on capabilities in detail over the past few hours) that if init has been limited in capabilities, then all processes on the system will be equally limited...so what process are you locking to your capabilities subset that logs in the new virt-root, and runs all of her daemons etc. so that they are similarly restricted?
--
Joe Cooper <address@hidden>
http://www.swelltech.com