pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: Bugs in Debian

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: Bugs in Debian
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 14:33:04 +0000 (UTC)

Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 08 Aug 2007
08:33:16 +0000:

>> Confirmed.  new-pan doesn't handle mail directly, choosing instead to
>> hand it off to the configured GNOME/KDE/OSX/MSW/Custom mailer.  So,
>> NOTABUG on this one.  (The user may need to configure a profile, but it
>> won't be used if only the mailto line is filled in, not the newsgroups
>> line.)

I said the profile won't be used.  That's not quite correct.  It does use
the sig as configured in the profile.  I know this because I have mine
setup to hand off to kmail, and kmail adds its own sig, so then the
message gets sent with two sigs, if I forget to remove one in kmail.

> Hm, if I want to reply to you privately and press "r", edit the message
> and then do C-RET (Ctrl+Return), Pan spawns Evolution (in my case) with
> the Subject: and To: headers filled in, but the body is empty...  I have
> to copy the text manually from the Pan window to Evo's window.

Hmm...  pan uses the standard system mailto: handler, KDE/GNOME/MSWormOS/
OSX/whatever.  You just tell it which to use, or configure a custom
entry.  If it's opening Evolution, I'd assume that's because you have
Evolution configured as your mailto handler in whatever (probably GNOME,
if it's Evolution, but not necessarily).  If it's not properly passing
the body, it's almost certainly because either the mailto handler isn't
working correctly.  Possibly a bug in it, altho more likely, particularly
if you've customized it, simply that it wasn't configured quite
correctly, and gets the subject and to headers, but not the body.

> Also, does this approach handle In-Reply-To: and References: properly,
> so that the person receiving the message gets it properly threaded (if
> she's reading the newsgroup as a mailing list)?

References, yes.  In-reply-to, I don't know myself, but on that list
there's a bug saying it doesn't get it right.