pan-users

removing/replacing features (was: Re: [Pan-users] How to disable Pan set

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Subject: removing/replacing features (was: Re: [Pan-users] How to disable Pan setting the Message-ID?)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 16:59:25 -0600

> Then I have this appeal to the Pan developers:
> Please stop removing features!
>
> Some other examples of features that have been removed which I'd like to
> have back:
> - Mark thread read
> - Flush cache

I kind of miss the 'get new headers in all subscribed groups' command,
myself. (tho I've learned to get by about as well with ctrl-a,a; instead of
ctrl-e).

I *do* applaud the developers for trying to avoid featuritis, and an
overload of menu items tho (it's difficult enough to build a good UI for
this, no matter what. more features just make it worse).

I think the best way to implement it would be as a more generalized
scripting engine (an extension of the rules engine, perhaps), which would
allow people to write macros/scripts for whatever functionality they desire.

so the menu item 'download headers in all subscribed groups' would just
invoke a script that selected all groups, and downloaded their headers.

it could go along with a number of other items on a 'scripts' menu; and so
wouldn't crowd the menus of more basic functionality, making them easier to
navigate.

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator