pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How to disable Pan setting the Message-ID?

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How to disable Pan setting the Message-ID?
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 21:38:20 -0800

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 10:13:21PM +0100, Gollum wrote:
> DevilKin wrote:
> > Thorsten Ruffle-Brandt wrote:
> > > Do I have to regress to 0.13.0 in order to get rid of the Pan
> > > Msg-ID?
> >
> > If I recall correctly Charles removed it from Pan 0.13.1 because noone
> > seemed to use it...
>
> Then I have this appeal to the Pan developers:
> Please stop removing features!

If nothing ever got removed, Pan's code and GUI would be hopelessly cluttered.
I've tried to rein in the sprawl by culling the least useful, least used, and
and most confusing features.  (The revised save-as dialog is a good example.)

> Pan is rather advanced for a Linux GUI newsreader, considering e.g. its
> custom filters, off-line capability, spell-checking and decoding of
> multipart binaries.  I think it would be more consistent if Pan tried to
> have more features, especially features that are available in other
> newsreaders, instead of removing them.
>
> I do appreciate the effort Charles and the rest of the team has put into
> Pan, and I'd like to see Pan evolve into a newsreader that matches or
> beats Xnews, Gravity and Agent in _every_ aspect.  Then Pan should also
> match their less frequently used features.

There are still features I'm going to fold into Pan from these apps,
it's not realistic (or necessary, IMO) for Pan to mirror ALL their features.
At 70,000 LOC -- the longest Unix newsreader except possibly Gnus --
Pan has reached the point where the utility of new obscure features
is outweighed by the time it takes to code, debug, and maintain them.

I think the roadmap on the Pan home page is still a pretty accurate
description of what I hope to finish before 1.0.

cheers,
Charles

PS. you can still accomplish "mark thread read" via shift-d,m