pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Upgraded 0.11.4 --> 0.13.2.91, but...

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Upgraded 0.11.4 --> 0.13.2.91, but...
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 07:30:15 -0700

On Fri 06 Dec 2002 16:56, Bobby D. Bryant posted as excerpted below:
> I finally updated from the 0.11 series to the 0.13 series in order to
> pick up the spellchecker.  (FWIW, my system is still on GTK+ 1.2, but
> Pan builds OK with the GTK+ 2 that comes with garnome.)

Interesting the spell checker works for you.  For some of us, it doesn't
(probably due to upgrading aspelll to 0.50 from 0.33).

> At any rate, the upgrade uncovers a couple of issues:
>
> 1) Flags - The flags are no longer persistent. (They were *always* bad
> about disappearing randomly, but now they *all* disappear whenever I
> exit Pan.)

I've never been one to use flags that much, but PAN DOES now have a d/l resume
feature, which should work as well, if you start the d/l b4 you exit PAN.
THAT should be saved, and upon restarting, should ask you if you want to
resume the aborted download.

> 2) Keybindings - Under 0.11, as with all my other text-oriented UNIX
> applications, I use ^a, ^e, ^w, etc. to navigate and edit the text.
> Under Pan 0.13 the results of using these habitual commands range from
> nuisance to disaster.  Would it be possible to support user-specified
> key bindings?

The change to gtk2 removed customizable key bindings, because the mechanism is
a bit different and it hadn't been instituded yet.  It soon returned in a
volatile form (no save between sessions, when someone posted that a
"gtk-can-change-accels = 1" in the appropriate gtkrc file (for GTK2, not 1)
would allow them to be changed.  The non-volatile functionality is back with
0.13.3 betas (0.13.2.9x), now (listed under my name as suggester =:^), but
hasn't made it back into stable yet.  That was a MAJOR crimp on my enjoyment
of the gtk2 versions as well, but as I am running the beta, I am all happy
now, 'cause the crimp is gone =;^)

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin