pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Upgraded 0.11.4 --> 0.13.2.91, but...

From: Bobby D. Bryant
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Upgraded 0.11.4 --> 0.13.2.91, but...
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 19:17:30 -0600

On 2002.12.07 11:11:00 -0600 Charles Kerr wrote:
On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 05:56:13PM -0600, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

> 1) Flags - The flags are no longer persistent. (They were *always* bad
> about disappearing randomly, but now they *all* disappear whenever I
> exit Pan.)

I considered that to be a bug in the older versions.
pan-users readers, should flagged articles be persistent across
sessions?

Persistent flags would be consistent with what I've seen in other mail/news readers with graphical interfaces.

However, there seems to be two uses for them in Pan. I use them to flag posts in busy newsgroups that I need to look at more carefully later, so the persistence is important. But I notice that Pan lets you use the flags to specify what you want to download, so for that use the persistent flags would be wrong. (FWIW, I use the mouse to select what I want to download, so I'll probably never use the flags at all if they aren't persistent.)

> 2) Keybindings - Under 0.11, as with all my other text-oriented UNIX
> applications, I use ^a, ^e, ^w, etc. to navigate and edit the text.
> Under Pan 0.13 the results of using these habitual commands range from > nuisance to disaster. Would it be possible to support user-specified
> key bindings?

This is a choice that the gtk2 designers made.

Yes, I removed your bindings and recompiled, and noticed that though I no longer get any nasty surprises the original behavior isn't restored.

You can reactivate the emacs keybindings via the Gnome 2 control
panel, and also by adding the line
     gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"
to your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file.
See http://www.gtk.org/gtk-2.0.0-notes.html for more info.

Thanks for the tip! Though I'm curious why they call it emacs, since the bindings work in CLIs and the text input fields of virtually every UNIX graphical application I've ever used, as well as in emacs. A really curious decision on the GTK folks' part.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas