pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Click on URL in a post??

From: Beartooth
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Click on URL in a post??
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:49:44 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Duncan wrote:

> On Mon 09 Dec 2002 14:14, Beartooth posted as excerpted below:
> > I'm currently using 0.11.4 (having never had any luck installing any
> > form of 0.12, let alone 0.13).
>
> Jim answered your question on browser preference settings, I'll
> tackle this.

        Wonderful! Great help! And my thanks in advance to him for
that; I can usually get to newsreading in the evening, a few hours
from now, and will be glad to see his post on gmane (which I hope
isn't a dirty word on this list, he said, ducking).

> PAN 0.12+ uses GTK2, not the GTK/Gnome 1 that PAN
> 0.11- used.  You can't run the newer PAN until GTK2 is properly
> installed (Gnome itself is no longer required).

        Aha! and also Oho! I've been supposing that GTK2 was some
proper subset, or fork, of Gnome. What is it, then? Does it replace
Gnome? -- Just when I've got my desktops about configured ....
<sigh>

> GTK2 does come with the newer distribs, if you are unable to
> successfully chase down all the dependencies (three primary
> pieces, each with its own dependencies) for installing it on
> older distribs.

> I'm on Mandrake, here, and simply used urpmi.add to add new
> Mandrake distribution mirrors, including Cooker/beta mirrors, and
> now run urpmi.update and urpmi --auto-select several times a week
> to keep up-to-date on the latest beta products.  I am running
> KDE3.1RC3, from Cooker, now, and expect the new RC5 binaries to
> be up likely tomorrow, so it (and therefore I) stays pretty
> current.  Anyway, I originally installed Mdk 8.1 with the old
> Gnome/GTK as well, but updated thru urpmi and Cooker, to get the
> full GTK/Gnome 2 install.

        Haven't tasted Mandrake, dunno urpmi from adam. But I did
decide early on that I couldn't affort *not* to subscribe to RHN
(the RedHat Network, which provides early notice, gives priority
access, and handles downloads/updates). That's one reason I get so
frustrated with upgrading Pan -- seems like the prerequisites
oughtta be there ...

> Of course, I did my original d/l and burn of all three Mdk 8.1
> CDs over DSL, and now have a cable modem, so the bandwidth isn't
> an issue here, but that's certainly MY easiest way to keep
> updated.  I assume Red Hat has something similar to urpmi to
> automatically update its install?

        I have DSL here, though I may not for the first few months
after I move this winter. (When my wife joins me in retirement,
1/3/03, we plan to clear up and get outta Babylon on Potomac once
and for all, lighting out for the Southern Blue Ridge in or near
Blacksburg, VA -- chosen in part for its Net access.)

> You may, of course, have to point it at current version mirrors,
> as I had to do with urpmi, but the rest was fairly easy.

        Well, I know what a mirror is ...

        My experience so far is that once RedHat get around to
sending me an rpm, I'm good to go. But things like source code,
tarballs, make, compile, et hoc genus omne are still over my head
so far they're outta sight. (*All* of computer science has come
into existence since my time, and youss guyss have a certain head
start on me ...)

        Do you think the likes of me could even *get* GTK2? To any
purpose, that is? Got a favored source for it?

        I do run betas -- obviously, and not just of Pan.  I'm
currently doing Opera 6.03 (not comfortable yet with what I hear of
6.1, but soon); Galeon 1.2.6; Konqueror 2.2.2 (using KDE 2.2.2-3)
-- under Gnome ; Kword 1.1.1 (also under Gnome); and AbiWord
0.9.dunno -- it has just informed me I'm out of date, but only
offers rpms for RH 7.3. and I'm 7.2 :-(

        I like to hope sometimes comments from the likes of me may
be some use to people who can no longer guess what to take for
common knowledge among ordinary users ....

--
Beartooth the Stubborn <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
Double Retiree, Linuxer's Apprentice, Curmudgeon On Line