pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] About colors of read and watched messages...

From: jef_e
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] About colors of read and watched messages...
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:03:59 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> (Furthermore, but this is another matter, I would completely eliminate
the
> "new" feature because I can see no use for it... after all, new unread
> messages and old unread messages are on the same level, since I have to
> read them both. Why a message downloaded now would be more important
> than one downloaded one hour ago?)

        Well, it's important to me because I filter out "Read" articles.
Remember that we all don't use Pan the way you do - so a "useless" feature
to you may still be pretty important to someone else :)
        Remember last month's `single click selects, rather than
activates' hubub from last month (thanks for bringing that back, btw
Pan Team :)

        Especially in binary groups, I like having this distinction. I
glance at articles, decide which I want to keep. Mark the rest read (and
often "delete" them if it's a busy group) so I don't see them again. Next
time I get new headers, I know which articles are new, and which are the
ones I have at least glanced at and found to be interesting.

        Since I'm paying for my usenet bandwidth, I will make sure that
every part has arrived before grabbing any of it. This also lets me look
at the new articles and decide that perhaps something new is more
important than what I was waiting for.

        The way I use Pan, "watch" is useless to me. But I can see where
others may prefer it.

        jef

p.s. Compile issues on Solaris 8 solved - still wondering tho, if I
preferred to do so, could nls support be disabled? Or is it too deeply
part of pan now?