pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Installing 0.13.93 on RedaHat 9.0

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Installing 0.13.93 on RedaHat 9.0
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 00:21:28 -0700

On Wed 02 Apr 2003 20:34, J. Gardner Biggs posted as excerpted below:
> This is becoming a nightmare.  Now it seems that aspell 0.33.x was after
> all installed.  So why is gtkspell complaining about it not being
> installed when I configured it to install to /usr/local? (I have both
> /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig and /usr/lib/pkgconfig as the environment
> variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH.)  Could it be that the RedHat 9.0 rpms do not
> install the *.pc files?  All I want is gtkspell installed in
> /usr/local!  I don't think it is too much to ask.

PMFJI..

Charles says the spell thing is more trouble than it's worth, in many cases
with aspell 0.33.x or earlier.  You may end up simply having to go the
no-spell route.

I use Mandrake Cooker (beta) here.  I know I had problems on and off with
spelling, and tried various libraries from other distribs, which never
worked, at least not reliably.  However, when Mdk made available their aspell
0.5x RPMs and I installed that, everything magically worked again, and I've
had no problems with spelling since then, either compiled from tarballs, or
using the spell-enabled RPMs, when available.

I'm guessing aspell 0.5x is available for RH, at least in rawhide, if nothing
else.  I'd suggest installing/reinstalling that, together with any
dependencies it says it needs, and seeing if that gets you out of the
problem.  If that isn't available or it doesn't work, you are welcome to keep
trying, but be warned, you may spend a LOT of time fixing it, and STILL not
get it working.  If the 0.5x solution doesn't work, I'd simply use the
no-spell option and be done with it, until RH straightens out things there.
As I said, when Mdk finally upgraded to the 0.5x version, it "just worked".

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin