pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] "Fit to window" - image view enhancement

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] "Fit to window" - image view enhancement
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 00:33:13 -0700

On Wed 02 Apr 2003 09:38, Jim Reiss posted as excerpted below:
> > Actually, that's a bit frustrating to some, particularly those who like
> > archives of text groups going back a year or more, when the server
> > doesn't have that sort of retention.
>
> On the flip side, Pan is still pretty slow in handling large sets of
> headers, so keeping such an archive would be just asking for performance
> and memory problems.

Very good point..  100K overviews and PAN slows to a crawl, even appearing to
freeze, trying to manage it all.

It's still be a useful option in comparitively slow groups, however.  As I
said, we are talking about text groups primarily, altho extending retention
for binary groups would be good for those with REAL short retention in that
area, because any sort of permanent retention for binaries simply gets HUGE
on the space requirements.  Further, for most text groups, GoogleGroups is
generally as good a solution as local retention anyway.  The corner case
would be private groups not stored on Google, something like local ISP/NSP
groups, which for the most part aren't going to be more than a few 10Ks of
posts in a year in the first place.  Get to many, and PAN indeed is the wrong
tool for the job, but in this sort of corner case, it would certainly be nice
to be able to retain say a years worth, when that's only say 5K/mo. 60K total
posts.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin