pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Wish: don't start a new instance of pan.

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Wish: don't start a new instance of pan.
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 08:27:19 -0700

Lenroc posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Wed, 01 Oct 2003 01:04:55 -0700:

> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:30:46 +0100, Toby A Inkster wrote:
>
>> Often I will have Pan running on localhost:1 (Xvnc) and forget about it
>> and start Pan up on localhost:0. Oh no! My read messages are marked
>> unread again!
>>
>> There should be an option to make Pan refuse to start a second instance
>> under the same user name. It should pop up a window with an explanation
>> though.
>
> I agree with this. And for those of you who suggested new commands to
> start Pan on Linux: thanks. I'll implement those on my Linux box.
>
> Now, if any of you could think of a way to do this on Windows as well, it
> would be great! ;)

If I were still "doing windows", it'd be a snap to generate a VB program
or WinBatch script for this purpose..  However, to paraphrase Paul the
Apostle "When I was a child, I thought as I child.  Now that I have become
a man, I've left childish things behind."  IOW, MSWormOS is the past, not
the future, for me, and I don't intend to go back to it, as that's a step
back in maturity, IMO.  Perhaps someone else does VB (since Winbatch would
require everyone wanting to run the script buy the interpreter, one of
those practices of the "bad old days" I'm very happy to have left behind).

As for that suggested option, IMO, it doesn't need a popup window
reminder.  Rather it should just bring the currently running instance to
the front and then exit the second instance, as do most other programs
with that option (xmms, etc.) that I've seen.

Benjamin Franklin