pan-users

[Pan-users] RE: Re: Wish: don't start a new instance of pan.

From: Toby A Inkster
Subject: [Pan-users] RE: Re: Wish: don't start a new instance of pan.
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 07:58:45 +0100

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 23:00:28 -0700, Lenroc wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 17:19:33 +0100, Michael Walsh wrote:
>
>> Id rather see it built INTO the application
>
> Well, wouldn't it be just as easy to make the "executable" for the program
> actually be a shell script that works as outlined in the previous posts?

As I explained, the wish is not merely to not start Pan if it is already
running, but to not start Pan if it is already running **with the same UID**.

If someone else has SSHd into my box and is running Pan on a remote X
server, I don't want to be prevented from running Pan. But if *I* have Pan
running on say localhost:1 courtesy of TightVNC, or merely on another
workspace, then I don't want another instance of Pan to start.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS