pan-users

[Pan-users] RE: Re: Wish: don't start a new instance of pan.

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] RE: Re: Wish: don't start a new instance of pan.
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 05:29:14 -0700

Lenroc posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Thu, 02 Oct 2003 01:56:00 -0700:

> On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 07:58:45 +0100, Toby A Inkster wrote:
>> If someone else has SSHd into my box and is running Pan on a remote X
>> server, I don't want to be prevented from running Pan.
>
> It's not really a good idea to be running two instances of Pan in any
> case, is it?
>
> Couldn't that cause conflicts with the data files, etc.?

Not if they are different users, since the data files are kept under
~/.pan, which would be different for each user (under the native *ix,
anyway, no idea how it's done on MSWormOS).

OTOH, PAN is already rather slow and resource hungry when it comes to
dealing with multiple-hundred-thousand post groups.  The possibility
of having TWO separate instances churning away on such groups.. <shudder>

Of course, my ~/.pan is a symlink to a separate, dedicated partition.  If
both attempted to use the same base path on the same dedicated partition..
but that'd always be a problem, even if both weren't running together, and
it could as easily be solved with either separate dedicated partitions, or
different paths on the same partition.  Thus, no unusual problem there.

Benjamin Franklin