pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan and SPA

From: Brian D. Ropers-Huilman
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan and SPA
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 06:37:40 -0600

Unfortunately it does not look like Pan actually implements SPA authentication, though they do support it. The code for SPA authentication is there (have a look in the tar-ball), but that code is _/NEVER/_ called. I changed the code and forced it to make a call to the SPA authentication routine and received specific SPA errors, but was still unable to make a connection. I also used Marc P's simple perl script and authenticator code with Tin, but it too failed.

I believe the SPA code which was pulled out of Samba by Marc and put into Pan and others simply does not work against modern Windows servers. I have put in an informal request to this group that Marc, Andy, and the Pan team look at pulling the SPA code out of the Samba v3.0 tree and give it a try.

Another option, at least for handling the e-mail for now, hopefully the newsgroups side later, is the latest version of Mozilla v1.6beta. They claim to have SPA capabilities for e-mail at least. I have not yet tried this myself.

I too am a UoP student, MBA in Technology Management. I can do everything else in my OS of choice, which is _/NOT/_ Windows, except the stuff I need to do most: read and respond to the newsgroups. Very, very frustrating.

Steve B. wrote:
According to the Pan website, it supports SPA Auth... but it doesn't explain how. My school (University of Phoneix) requires SPA auth to log into the classroom (a bunch of newsgroups).. I don't really want to have to use Windows XP and Outlook Express to go to school, but if I can't get a newsgroup reader that can send my password via SPA then it looks like I might.

Thank you,
Steve

--
Brian D. Ropers-Huilman  ::  Systems Administrator  ::  AIX / Linux
Office of Computing Services                     (225) 578-0461 (V)