pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Filtering "manually" on PATH header

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Filtering "manually" on PATH header
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 02:01:17 -0700

Hamilcar Barca posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:19:51 -0600:

> I see that Pan doesn't provide a means to filter on the PATH header. A
> net-kook in a newsgroup to which I subscribe has used over thirty
> psuedonyms in the past week.  However, all these articles are identifiable
> by the PATH.
>
> Is it safe to write a script to delete the article files manually, or
> would that displease Pan?

I'm not a PAN code groker, but I'm a regular in both this and the devel
group..

Deleting the article files from cache should be entirely safe, I
/believe/.    Note that the overview will still show up in the overview
(aka header) pane, unless you delete the record from the data file as
well, which could get a bit hairy trying to do safely (and you'd have to
shut down PAN to do it).  However, if you d/l the entire group, then
switch to another while you run your script, then switch back, the ones
not cached should be the ones of his.

At that point, if you create (as I have) in PAN an "uncached only" filter
to match the "cached only" filter already there, you can then delete the
overviews for the uncached files (which will now be his), then set it back
to normal, and read the group undisturbed by his posts.

BTW, there's some good news on that front.  Someone with the coding skills
I don't have said the lack of full filtering in PAN irritated him as well,
and he'd look at coming up with a patch to add that functionality.
Hopefully, he does, and Charles finds at least enough time to add it to
CVS and come out with a beta including it, as you aren't the ONLY one that
finds the lack of such filters seriously inconveniencing!

You ARE, however, the first I've seen to come up with the separate script
idea to do the filtering.  That's a VERY good idea.  I should have thought
of that!  <g>  I'll have to try it myself, with my kook posters.  (I
think the first thing I'll do is create a script to kill HTML posts!
<grr!> <g>). Thanks!

Benjamin Franklin