pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Filtering "manually" on PATH header

From: Hamilcar Barca
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Filtering "manually" on PATH header
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:32:03 -0600

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 02:01:17 -0700, Duncan wrote:

[Thanks also to Lenny Nero]

> Hamilcar Barca posted
> <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
>  on Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:19:51 -0600:
>
>> Is it safe to write a script to delete the article files manually, or
>> would that displease Pan?
>
> Deleting the article files from cache should be entirely safe, I
> /believe/.

I've been playing with the script for about four hours and it seems safe.

> Note that the overview will still show up in the overview (aka header)
> pane

That's not quite what I wanted but it's exactly what I'm getting.  The
article's headers are still "present".  Once or twice I've selected the
article in the header list and Pan retrieves the body (faithfully.)

> unless you delete the record from the data file as well, which could get
> a bit hairy trying to do safely (and you'd have to shut down PAN to do
> it).

Thanks for the advice.  I don't think I'm going to do that much work in a
separate script.

> However, if you d/l the entire group, then switch to another while you
> run your script, then switch back, the ones not cached should be the
> ones of his.

Impatience forbids me from doing this!

> BTW, there's some good news on that front.  Someone with the coding
> skills I don't have said the lack of full filtering in PAN irritated him
> as well, and he'd look at coming up with a patch to add that
> functionality.

Is there some way to track the progress or know when it's done?  I'd
consider attempting it myself but not if someone else is working on it.

> I'll have to try it myself, with my kook posters.  (I think the first
> thing I'll do is create a script to kill HTML posts!

I would have done that also, but I've subscribed to another mailing list
through Gmane.org and some of the important messages (for example, from TJ
Watson research) have some HTML.

> <grr!> <g>

Agreed.