pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Spam-filter

From: Per Hedeland
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Spam-filter
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:08:50 +0200 (CEST)

Duncan wrote:

>Torstein Sunde posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
>on Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:41:48 +0200:
>
>> Bernhard Kleine wrote:
>>
>>> on gmane.comp.gnome......., spam detection adds spam.detected to the
>>> Header newsgroup. Can this be used to eliminate spam creating a filter
>>> in pan?
>>
>> You should be able to do this by creating a scoring rule that ignores
>> those articles, e.g. by using the "Create Score" dialogue with these
>> settings:
>>
>>   Newsgroups:  Contains / gmane.spam.detected
>>
>>   Criteria:  (none)
>>
>>   Score:  Ignore
>>
>>   Score:  Never Expire
>>
>> Note that I haven't actually tried this.
>
>I've never been able to get it to work.  Newsgroups only seems to be
>effective on the group one is actually in, not on the rest of the groups a
>post may be cross-posted to.
>
>If someone gets it to work, therefore, please post with your recipe!

I've never tried any scoring in pan, but know something little about
news servers... - and according to previous messages here, scoring only
works on headers that are in the overview - and Newsgroups normally
isn't (the server admin could make it be though, at least for some
server implementations).

The Xref header on the other hand should always be in the overview, and
normally has essentially a superset of the info in Newsgroups (the
newsgroup names + article number in each newsgroup - though only for
newsgroups carried by the current server).

Now it may be that as spam.detected is presumably just a "pseudo group",
it may not be in Xref even though it is in Newsgroups - should be easy
enough to check I guess. And if that's the case, it seems a very unwise
choice of whoever puts it in to (only) put it in Newsgroups - even with
a reader that supports scoring/filtering on non-overview headers,
retrieving those typically puts a significantly higher load on the
server than retrieving the overview headers.

--Per Hedeland