pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Could not decode article - file may be corrupt/i

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Could not decode article - file may be corrupt/incomplete
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:49:29 -0700

Martijn Otto posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:51:38 +0100:

> If you want to see the problem 'live', the problem also occurs with
> the entire season one of CSI posted to a.b.multimedia. Just filter
> with CSI.S01 every file fails. It's posted more recently, maybe
> something of that has made it.

I set that group to d/l overviews this morning -- 1.3 million, if that
gives you any idea of the retention. I'm not using CVS, so that 1.3
million overviews maxed out my puny gig of RAM and used ~ a gig of swap.
However, that was the end of my day, so I simply went to sleep letting it
do its thing.  When I woke up this evening, the overviews were all there
and sorted.  Unfortunately, altho one request for CSI.(NY) shows up, and
several ?.S01 show up, nothing with the full CSI.S01.

My filetype block filter says it's getting a hit-rate of 35%.  What was
the filetype of the files in question?  I'm not blocking avi or the like,
but I'm blocking rar/r?? and zip, as well as par/p??, exe, etc.  Maybe
it's my filters blocking the threads, not my crappy server?

What about posting subject-lines and dates?  Since PAN filters on
subject-line, that way, I can see if it would be filtered.  Date gives me
an idea of whether I can see it or not.  (From the draw this morning, the
date range was 1:20 on 1-19 to 9:51 on 1-24, for alt.binaries.multimedia,
so that's five days' range, but obviously, the stuff near the end of that
will be pretty holey, so figure three days semi-safe range.  Note that
completion is a known issue on my server for the multimedia groups, so
even stuff at the safest of about a day old will likely have some missing.)