pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: a question..

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: a question..
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 19:02:12 +0000 (UTC)

marco stagno <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed,
31 May 2006 20:20:57 +0200:

> then if I understand correcly, the 'score' file is to filter the
> items in the panel only.. is it right?!

The score file is the config that tells pan what items to score up or down
and by how much, thus letting it assign scores based on the relevant items
to each post.

By itself, that's all the score mechanism does, altho pan can then use the
assigned score in other ways.  For example, it interprets a score of 9999
as watched, a score of -9999 as ignored, and those in between as various
levels of high or low scoring, assigning color coding to them and/or
displaying or not displaying them based on what you have the filters set
for, accordingly.

>> use filters/rules to tell PAN what you want to do with articles of
>> that
>
> or there is a way to tell PAN what to do with a score file 9999, for
> example?

Yes.  In 0.14.x, you could set a filter that would select based on score
level, and set that score level to "watched".  That would simply select
all posts of that score level.  You could then set a rule that would use
the filter you just created, and set the rule to download all posts
matching that filter.

Likewise, you could (and I did) set a filter to match ignored posts only,
then set a rule to delete them, so I never saw them at all.

Further, you could (and I did) set a filter to match low scored posts
(negative scored -1 to -9998, since -9999 was ignored), and set a
corresponding rule to automatically mark them as read.  The latter I used
as a less severe form of ignore, since I normally had the display toggled
to view unread posts only.  Thus, I'd not see negative scored posts by
default, but if someone replied to them and I wanted to read the original
post they were replying to, I still could, since it was only marked read,
not deleted as it would be if it were fully ignored.

However, that was with 0.14.x.  The scoring in 0.9x (soon to be 0.10x) is
very similar and the same score file can be used, but I'm not sure how the
rule thing works in 0.9x if indeed it's there at all, as I simply haven't
yet used that feature.  Again, I intend to change that later this week, so
next week if all goes well, I'll be able to explain exactly how 0.9x (then
0.100) rules and filtering, as well as scoring, work.