pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: posting problem

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: posting problem
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:45:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 15:29:54 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> Bruce Bowler <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:41:46
> +0000:
[....]
>> Correct and not correct.  I have thought about it a bit and while it's
>> nice to be able to have a split personality, it shouldn't be a
>> *requirement* if you use more than one news server.
>
> Let me apologize as that came off a bit (OK, more than a bit =8^( )
> uppity. That wasn't my intention, as I'm here to help, ...

Duncan, I'm your witness for helpfulness.

Otoh, I had to ask the same question, albeit less articulately -- and I'm
betting it will recur many more times here. To be sure, the way it really
works is obvious *after* you've once seen it (or had it explained to you).
I submit, however, that it is neither obvious nor intuitive to those of us
devoid of aspirations to technoidicity, who just need to *use* Pan.

You may be interested in a little anecdote -- with an implied definition
of "obvious."

It seems some Nobel laureate nuclear physicist was lured to another
university by, among other things, the fact that he could have a classroom
right next to his office, with an interconnecting door, so that he never
had to go out in the hall.

One day he was giving a post-doctoral class, scribbling onto the
blackboard the whole time, and said at a certain point, "Now, obviously, ..."

Writing down the next equation, he kept going -- unaware of a hand that
immediately began waving frantically at the back of the room.

When he eventually glanced around, the poor guy with the hand asked,
"Professor X, back where you said "obviously" ... about the top of the
second board -- is that *really* obvious?"

The prof looked at it a minute; grabbed a pad and pencil; and disappeared
into his adjoining office.

Fifteen minutes later, he came back; said, "Yes, it is obvious" -- and
went on where he had left off.