pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: posting problem

From: Bruce Bowler
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: posting problem
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:59:29 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 03:13:10 +0000, walt wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:24:22 -0600, Charles Kerr wrote:
>
>> How do other multiserver Usenet clients handle this?
>
> The only one I have is Agent 3.1 (which I never use except for
> occasions like this :o)

[snip]

> In addition, you select between several options like 'use only
> the first server' or 'use all servers' or 'use servers known to
> carry the newsgroup'.
>
> This is extremely flexible because it is complex -- and for a
> newbie it would be mildly overwhelming, IMO.

And what I'm suggesting (at least I think it's what I'm suggesting :-) is
that the "default" make the most sense for a real-life noob.  The
real-life noob doesn't really care which server is used to post the
article, just that the article gets posted.  Given the 3 options you list
above, the "use servers known to carry this group" should be the default
for all groups, because that's the one most likely to do what the noob
wants.

I'm not suggesting taking away *any* functional choices from the user, I'm
just suggesting that the current behavior isn't all that noob friendly
either.

--
Bruce Bowler        | Life is the search for a decent night's sleep.  -