pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Background colour in 0.14.2

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Background colour in 0.14.2
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 23:32:36 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice Batey <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 09 Feb
2007 17:05:25 +0000:

> As you may know, that Mandriva distribution installs 'new' Pan 0.119, and for
> various reasons (e.g. I still use dial-up), I don't find the new Pan usable -
> so I have replaced it with Pan 0.14.2. (This was from the SuSE RPM, and a new
> Mandriva 'libgnet' library had to be installed first.)

FWIW, you can probably find a Mandriva/Mandrake RPM of the old version on
RPMfind.net, from an older version of the distribution.  That should help
rpm properly track dependencies, altho it's working for you now.  Note
that not all the rpmfind.net mirrors stay in sync, so look at more than
one of them if you aren't finding what you want on the first one you look
at.

Back when I was on Mandrake, I used to use rpmfind all the time.  (I'm on
Gentoo now.)

> 0.14.2 is working beautifully (having copied the SuSE '.pan' directory over)
> EXCEPT that I cannot get the background colour changed.
>    Under SuSE I did that - as you suggested way back  - via KDE's 'colour'
> controls; no problem.
>
> However, under Mandriva that change will not take effect (even though I did
> check the 'Apply to non-KDE programs' box), although it did affect other
> programs...

There's an environmental variable that you may need to set (and export) as
well, to tell pan where to look for its gtk config.  Here, it depends on
how I launch pan -- from the menu it's set automatically, from the command
line (and thus from the starter script I'm now using, to be able to run
separate pan.bin and pan.txt instances of new-pan) I have to set it
manually before launching the pan binary.

export GTK2_RC_Files="path1:path2:path3"

Here, the paths are
/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
$HOME/.gtkrc-2.0
$HOME/$KDE_CONFIG_DIR/share/config/gtkrc-2.0

(Substitute values as appropriate for the variables.)

You may not need all of those.  I think I'm actually using the first and
the last but not the middle one.  For sure, you'll need to include the
last one as that's where KDE puts its color settings, but you may
want/need additional ones as well, to pickup system/user default settings
other than those KDE provides.