pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me

From: Gerald L
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 15:24:33 -0600

Beartooth wrote:

One of the people on VTLUUG is singing the praises of an app called simply screen; I suspect, looking at the config file before I even read his stuff, that it's pretty well over my head; but he's right about one thing -- it's already installed in my distro (Fedora 10). Whaddaya think?

'screen' is not an xterm. It is a detachable, multitasking, tty intended to be run inside another term or tty.

The reason most people sig it's praises is because of the "detach" feature. You can run screen, then run a program inside the screen session. Then, you can detach screen, log out, go home (or to the office) log in to another machine, connect to the original by ssh, run screen inside the ssh session and be right back where you left it when you logged out of the original session.

I have a 'screen' running 24/7 that has multiple pty's open running my IRC client, a terminal based torrent client, a root (su -) terminal, and a couple others for various things. This is all running in a single xterm window but if I break X fiddling around with things I can kill X, restart it, and recover that screen session with all of those things still running fine. Or, if I REALLY break X I can run screen at the command line outside of X and have them all running fine (so I can quickly jump on IRC and ask if anybody knows what bonehead move I pulled to trash my X setup).

Gerald