pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me

From: David Shochat
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan not emailing me
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 00:43:32 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 22:31:45 +0000, Beartooth wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 00:36:03 +0300, Роман Донченко wrote:
>       [...]
>> The Fedora package for it is called simply "Terminal".
>
>       Aha! I didn't have, per rpm -q; yum got it; and it runs all right.
>
>       Since I can't use Gnome Preferences till that's fixed; I went
> into Pan's, set that to Custom, which still showed my xterm setting,
> changed "xterm" to "Terminal" with everything else the same. So what I
> now have is
>
> Terminal -e alpine -url %s -- which doesn't work; it fails when I hit
> send.
>
>       Taking that "-e" out didn't fix it.
>
>       What do I need to do?

You have to figure out the name of the executable. It is probably /not/
"Terminal"; that's the package name, although I admit that in my Ubuntu
situation, the package name and the executable name happened to be the
same. But in general, they are not the same. We need the rpm command that
lists the files in the package named Terminal. Ok, try:
  rpm -ql Terminal
You should get a list of files. What we're looking for will be in /usr/
bin, e.g. /usr/bin/terminal or some name that almost certainly will
contain the word "terminal". Probably all lower case.
Another way to figure it out is to run it from menus and then do:
  ps aux | grep -i terminal | grep -v grep
while it's running. That should show you the command that launched it.
Once you think you know what the name is, try just typing that name at a
shell prompt (i.e., in the terminal, xterm, or whatever). If you have the
right name, a new "terminal" will come up. Once you succeed with that,
you'll know what to replace "xterm" with in your pan settings.
-- David