pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Permissions Re: Aaarrrgghhh! Whahoppena Terminal??

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Permissions Re: Aaarrrgghhh! Whahoppena Terminal??
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 15:32:46 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 19:40:09 +0000, Duncan wrote:
        [...]
> Rinaldi's suggestion on the tarball and restore backups permissions
> problems was that the UIDs/GIDs may differ between machines.  You may
> have the same usernames/groupnames on each, but with different UIDs/
> GIDs.  Since what's actually saved for file permissions is the UID/GID,
> if you tarball your home dir up on one machine that's using one set of
> UIDs/GIDs and try to use it on a different machine with different
> numbers, the result would be issues such as you mentioned.
>
> So, you now know that your current machine is using UID 500 for your
> user (btth).  What about your other machines?  If one or more of them
> have a different UID for user btth, you'll see the padlock and have to
> do a chown on anything tarballed up and copied between the machines with
> different UIDs.

        btth has UID = 500 on all four of the PCs on my desk. I'll
eventually have to check my wife's PC downstairs, and the guestroom
laptop, but here I'm apparently OK.

> Putting it a different way, the username (and groupname) are simply for
> the benefit of the human.  What really counts for the computer is the
> UID/ GID, the numbers.  So if those numbers are different, it'll see it
> as a different user/group, regardless of what the username/groupname
> says, until you change it.
>
> Thus, if you do indeed have different UIDs for your btth user on
> different machines, you may want to figure out which UID number is used
> for btth on the most machines, and change the UID of the btth user on
> the others so everything matches.  Of course, once you do, you'll have
> to do a chown -R to change all the files on the affected machines too,
> but once that's done and all your UIDs/GIDs match between all your
> machines, you should be fine.

        OK; but, as I mentioned in another thread yesterday, there turned
out to be permission troubles in the two GPS/map programs, /usr/lib/
qlandkarte and /usr/lib/qlandkartegt, which I had just installed the day
before. And what's more, after the chown -R, one of them did what it was
supposed to. So I scrolled slowly through all of /usr/lib, and saw no
more blasted padlocks.

        However, trying to do a make install on build_GarminDev, which
contains qlandkarte, I got an error :

CMake Error at src/cmake_install.cmake:36 (FILE):
  file Problem setting permissions on file "/usr/include/garmin/IDevice.h"

        Fwiw, I did a chown -R on that, and make install ran.

        What is bothering me is finding permission problems buried way
down deep in new stuff. I don't know whether that's still relevant to the
Terminal problem, let alone the original emailing problem. (The email
method with Terminal *seems* to be working, so long as I leave plenty of
time between attempts ....)