pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Permissions Re: Aaarrrgghhh! Whahoppena Terminal??

From: David Shochat
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Permissions Re: Aaarrrgghhh! Whahoppena Terminal??
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 16:01:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 15:32:46 +0000, Beartooth wrote:

>       However, trying to do a make install on build_GarminDev, which
> contains qlandkarte, I got an error :
>
> CMake Error at src/cmake_install.cmake:36 (FILE):
>   file Problem setting permissions on file
>   "/usr/include/garmin/IDevice.h"
>
>       Fwiw, I did a chown -R on that, and make install ran.

Normally, the make install step should be done as root when the prefix
is /usr, as it apparently was in your case. On Ubuntu, the recommended
way of doing that is (as a member of the admin group) saying:
sudo make install
which causes the processing to be done as root. Everything under /usr
(and therefore everything under /usr/include) is normally owned by root
and writable only by root. This helps protect your system during normal,
non-administrative operations (which should always be done as an ordinary
user).
-- David