pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Aaarrrgghhh! Whahoppena Terminal??

From: Gerald L
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Aaarrrgghhh! Whahoppena Terminal??
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 19:52:47 -0600

Beartooth wrote:
On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 15:16:57 -0600, Gerald L wrote:

What's the output of:

ls -l /home/btth/bin

?

Answer : weirdness -- it seems as if it tries to run as well as list it.

address@hidden ~]$ ls -l /home/btth/bin
total 4
-rwxr-xr-x 1 btth btth 143 2009-03-06 13:26 alpine_helper.pl
[1]+  Done                    alpine_helper.pl mailto:address@hidden
address@hidden ~]$ Note that "total 4" -- if I go to a bare desktop, open btth's home directory, and then bin, I see only the one file.

That "[1]+ Done" is leftovers from you running "alpine_helper.pl address@hidden
&"

the "&" at the end of that causes the alpine_helper program to run in the background and when it finishes/exits the console lets you know by spitting out the "Done" line the next time the screen updates (such as from the output of the "ls" program or even just a simple "RETURN" keystroke causing the screen to scroll).

I was just interested to see if the alpine_helper.pl was actually owned by you.

You have some serious ownership/permissions issues on your system that are going to be VERY difficult to diagnose via email. There is absolutely no reason that kwrite should be the only editor able to open that file.

I'd suspect the fact that you couldn't open it using gedit or anything else is also caused by whatever is making it fail to run every time from Pan.

About the only way to even begin to troubleshoot at this point will be for you to sit down and start writing a book.

Word-for-word, command-by-command, what you do from the time you turn on the machine to the time it fails to work correctly. You're not running the same distro I'm familiar with so it still will probably require the assistance of others.

Gerald