pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan brings PC to a standstill

From: David Shochat
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan brings PC to a standstill
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 11:56:15 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 07:31:56 -0400, Keith Richie wrote:

> Try to compile from the unpatched source code. You shouldn't have to run
> make install, but you can run the Pan binary from the compiled
> directory.
>
> Gnome uses a file monitoring daemon for Nautilus (Fam, Gamin,
> something). Try disabling that, and/or beagle if it's running.

This is very interesting. I always run a version of pan which I compiled
from unpatched source. But I was running GNOME when I ran configure
(should I examine the configure log?) To follow up on your second idea, I
did a
ps -ef | awk '{print $8}' > processes.gnome
while running GNOME desktop, and then the same thing but redirecting to
processes.xfce while running XFCE desktop. Then I differenced the two
files and removed some things like applets which I really don't think
could be responsible. Here's what is left (these are interesting
processes which are only there when running the GNOME desktop):
< /usr/bin/dbus-launch
< /usr/bin/pulseaudio
< /usr/lib/pulseaudio/pulse/gconf-helper
< /usr/bin/seahorse-agent
< /usr/lib/gnome-session/helpers/gnome-keyring-daemon-wrapper
< /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon
< /usr/lib/at-spi/at-spi-registryd
< /usr/lib/bonobo-activation/bonobo-activation-server
< /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-hal-volume-monitor
< /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-trash
< /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor
< /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-burn
< gnome-power-manager
So, any ideas as to which of those might be responsible? Notice there is
nothing in the list named fam, gamin, or beagle.
-- David