pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan brings PC to a standstill

From: David Shochat
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan brings PC to a standstill
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 20:25:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 09:27:24 -0700, walt wrote:
> Well, two points.

[snip]
> Second, at-spi-registryd. Unless you know you need it (and if you do
> need it you already know it) use the Assistive Technologies Preferences
> applet to disable it.

BINGO!!!

I believe you (and Keith who got me thinking about daemons) have finally
solved this longstanding problem. Actually, I had not found the
preference so I removed the at-spi package altogether. Now that I have
found the preference, I may try reinstalling the package but disabling
the feature, which is what you were suggesting. I wanted to make sure
there was no way that daemon would run. So now we have a new question:
What exactly does the "assistive technologies" daemon do, and why does is
it so poisonous to pan? I guess that was 2 questions. I know that the
reason I had this was so that I could run GOK (GNOME On-screen Keyboard)
which I was only using so I could see foreign keyboard layouts, which can
now be done in other ways. When I removed at-spi, it forced removal of
GOK. Maybe when this is on, the event loop has to check constantly to see
whether one of the virtual keys has been pressed and if so, generate a
keypress event. Anyway, I really think there's hope now that someone will
come up with a full explanation.
-- David