pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan brings PC to a standstill

From: PsiStormYamato
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan brings PC to a standstill
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:15:44 -0400

walt wrote:
David Shochat wrote:

What exactly does the "assistive technologies" daemon do,

The 'at' series of packages is intended to help users like, e.g.
Stephen Hawking who can't use a keyboard or perhaps can't see
a computer screen.  I'm reasonably sure that the gnome onscreen
keyboard is useful to those who can't use a real keyboard with
their hands but perhaps can use a joystick or some equivalent to
move the mouse pointer over the GOK.

and why does is it so poisonous to pan?...

I can't answer that one.  Maybe someone else here can?
I played around with assistive technologies and Orca in Ubuntu, and I found that having AT enabled will result in slowdown of many applications, not just Pan. I think the screen reader component is trying to scan every line of text in every window, which is probably contributing to the system lag.