pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Upgrade to Natty Narwhall, still problems

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Upgrade to Natty Narwhall, still problems
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 13:30:26 +0000 (UTC)

Orlok Nosferatu posted on Wed, 11 May 2011 12:07:26 +0000 as excerpted:

> Aww. When I checked Pan I saw it still had the 0.133 version. So I
> started to upgrade by downloading and extracting the pan-0.123 package.
> When I executed ./configure I saw I had some missing packages, so I
> downloaded, extracted and ran the ./configure's of glib-2.24.1 and
> gmime-2.4.23 too. Checking the config.log's I saw "configure: exit 0" at
> the end of each (glib, gmime and pan) log file. So that should be good,
> shouldn't it? Why does my pan still say it is version 0.133 (when I look
> in the help menu followed by an 'about' menu choice)? A 'pan --version'
> gave me the same answer (eg 'Pan 0.133').

Wait!  You tried to /upgrade/ from 0.133 to 0.123?  ???

I hope you meant 0.134!

Meanwhile, I see you did the ./configure, but you don't mention doing the
following make, make install.  You /did/ do the make, make install,
right?  (Note that you can normally do the build as a normal user, but the
install step will need to be done as root.)

Finally, IDR what pan's default is, but many source-builds default to
installing in /usr/local (so /usr/local/bin for an executable like pan,
or /usr/local/lib(64) for a library) if one hasn't fed ./configure
additional settings.  Running ./configure --help (in the dir you unpacked
the sources into, naturally) should spit out a bunch of information about
the available options you can feed it.

If you did install it to /usr/local/bin/pan as I expect, then which one
would actually be run would depend on the order of paths in the PATH
environmental variable set for whatever you're running it from, if running
it from the command-line, but if you use the normal menu launcher method,
the menu launcher is very likely coded to the system pan's installation
path, /usr/bin/pan or the like, so you'd get that one.

Unless of course you specifically uninstall the existing system pan
package, so you only have the compiled version.  Then you'd probably get
it when run from the command line, wherever it installed by default, and
it might or might not appear on your launch menu.