pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Where do I set the encoding for reading/writing posts?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Where do I set the encoding for reading/writing posts?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 01:20:33 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson posted on Thu, 12 May 2011 00:41:09 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Wed, 11 May 2011 02:39:41 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> That's a per-group setting: look under group preferences.
>>
>> If the group appears on several servers you have configured, note that
>> the posting profile is another group setting, and the posting profile
>> in turn sets which server the post goes to.
>
> OK, thanks.  I may have to look at how to change it for a large number
> of groups, but at least that gets me around the fact that this
> particular server is lying about the encoding in the headers.

For that, take a good text editor (of course sed's useful at the command
line for stuff like this, once you know the format to s/// on) to
$PAN_HOME/group-preferences.xml, doing a search-and-replace on the old
value, within a string such as:

<string name='character-encoding' value='UTF-8'/>

($PAN_HOME defaults to ~/.pan2 if the environmental variable is unset, of
course.)

Just be sure you don't screw up the XML structure, keep quoting intact,
etc, the basic precautions one would normally take with an xml based file.