pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Where do I set the encoding for reading/writing posts?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Where do I set the encoding for reading/writing posts?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 03:21:11 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson posted on Thu, 12 May 2011 01:31:25 +0000 as excerpted:

>> For that, take a good text editor (of course sed's useful at the
>> command line for stuff like this, once you know the format to s/// on)
>> to $PAN_HOME/group-preferences.xml, doing a search-and-replace on the
>> old value, within a string such as:
>>
>> <string name='character-encoding' value='UTF-8'/>
>>
>> ($PAN_HOME defaults to ~/.pan2 if the environmental variable is unset,
>> of course.)
>>
>> Just be sure you don't screw up the XML structure, keep quoting intact,
>> etc, the basic precautions one would normally take with an xml based
>> file.
>
> Yea, that's kinda what I'm thinking.
>
> Does that setting force the code page for reading, or just for posting?

I don't actually know.  Since I only read English, I don't have much
/reason/ or opportunity to know.  I might come across the occasional
oddball post, but they're occasional enough and often readable enough
(only a few characters screwed up) that I can either infer from context or
skip mark-read-and-go-on for the unreadable stuff.