pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Where do I set the encoding for reading/writing posts?

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Where do I set the encoding for reading/writing posts?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 01:31:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 12 May 2011 01:20:33 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> Jim Henderson posted on Thu, 12 May 2011 00:41:09 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>> On Wed, 11 May 2011 02:39:41 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>>
>>> That's a per-group setting: look under group preferences.
>>>
>>> If the group appears on several servers you have configured, note that
>>> the posting profile is another group setting, and the posting profile
>>> in turn sets which server the post goes to.
>>
>> OK, thanks.  I may have to look at how to change it for a large number
>> of groups, but at least that gets me around the fact that this
>> particular server is lying about the encoding in the headers.
>
> For that, take a good text editor (of course sed's useful at the command
> line for stuff like this, once you know the format to s/// on) to
> $PAN_HOME/group-preferences.xml, doing a search-and-replace on the old
> value, within a string such as:
>
> <string name='character-encoding' value='UTF-8'/>
>
> ($PAN_HOME defaults to ~/.pan2 if the environmental variable is unset,
> of course.)
>
> Just be sure you don't screw up the XML structure, keep quoting intact,
> etc, the basic precautions one would normally take with an xml based
> file.

Yea, that's kinda what I'm thinking.

Does that setting force the code page for reading, or just for posting?

I've got a post in a private group on the server in question that's mis-
encoded as 8859-1, but the subject line shows correctly in Greek, but the
message body is garbage.

The group is already set to UTF-8.

Jim
--