pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Reading an HTML posting when using 'old' Pan

From: Joe Zeff
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Reading an HTML posting when using 'old' Pan
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:34:41 -0700

On 03/23/2012 04:47 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
I have written to companies many times, and not once have they
photocopied my letter and stapled it to the back of their answer (the
equivalent of top-posting). And I would certainly never expect to
receive a copy of the *entire* file attached to the back of their answer
as a matter of course.

Because doing that would cost money for postage. Email doesn't cost money, so the custom has grown to quote from what you're replying to give context. Remember, I'm not trying to justify excessive quoting. I'm only explaining why some people find top posting reasonable.