pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Reading an HTML posting when using 'old' Pan

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Reading an HTML posting when using 'old' Pan
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 22:28:19 -0500

On Mar 23, 2012, at 12:34 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:

>> I have written to companies many times, and not once have they
>> photocopied my letter and stapled it to the back of their answer (the
>> equivalent of top-posting). And I would certainly never expect to
>> receive a copy of the *entire* file attached to the back of their answer
>> as a matter of course.
>
> Because doing that would cost money for postage.

Yes, but ineffective communication costs even more. If forwarding a copy of all
past correspondences with each new correspondence helped more than it hurt then
business would not blink at the cost in postage or dead trees.

The fact it is not necessary or beneficial in postal correspondence only goes
to support the claim that it is also not necessary in email correspondence.

> Email doesn't cost money, so the custom has grown to quote from what you're
> replying to give context.  Remember, I'm not trying to justify excessive
> quoting. I'm only explaining why some people find top posting reasonable.

Think most here will agree there are rare exceptions where top-post-no-trim is
acceptable. The problem is that it is typically used out of laziness and belief
that Microsoft would not steer one wrong.

Lazy top-posters refuse to consider they could type less and communicate better
if only they would insert comments immediately after that which prompted them
to have something to say. Let the other person say it their way without having
to paraphrase it so the reader knows where you are jumping in.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden