pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan just keeps loading and loading...

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan just keeps loading and loading...
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 04:29:17 +0000 (UTC)

Ima Afrotrap posted on Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:17:10 -0500 as excerpted:

> My problem - I add my news server to pan and it of course starts to
> fetch all the groups on that server. [...] I looked to see how far
> along it had come and to my surprise it had 230,000 groups! My news
> server does *NOT* have that many groups!
>
> Just to check and make sure, I used knode and sure enough, it only got
> 112,000, which is what I expected.
>
> So, just for kicks and giggles, I started the fetch again in Pan and
> let it go. It was at least 3 hours minimum and it was *still* fetching
> groups and it had almosy a million fetched so far! It just wasn't going
> to stop, so I stopped it and deleted that task and deleted that server.
>
> I asked my ISP if they had another news server and they gave me a yes
> and I tried that one. Same thing happened. Pan just kept fetching and
> fetching with no end in sight.
>
> What's really strange, another server, a private one (GRC.com server)
> fetched just fine and was done in no time on Pan.
>
> Why is Pan messing up like this? I'm using Slackware and openSUSE and
> on openSUSE Pan works fine, yet on Slackware it only works partially.
> Anyone have any ideas what's happening, why and any possible fixes? I
> hate knode because after 12 years of using KDE they *still* haven't
> figured out how to make it work with binaries and Yenc files and it's
> slow compared to Pan.

... And FWIW, knode, being part of kdepim, will eventually be akonadified
along with the rest of kdepim (kmail, kaddressbook, knotes, kalendar,
etc).  If it's anything like the akonadification of kaddressbook and
kmail, that'll make things WORSE, NOT BETTER!  FWIW, I've used pan for
news since I switched from servantware-MS, but I run a kde desktop and
until it akonadified with kdepim 4.6, I ran kmail as well.  Nearly a
decade of kmail usage, but I'm on claws-mail now!  Your headers say
kmail-1.x, so presumably you're still running kdepim-4.4.x, the last
kdepim 4.x release before they akonadified kmail, but that's two years
outdated and won't continue working forever with newer kde, so at some
point you're likely to need to decide whether you're switching away from
kmail, or will convert to the akonadified kmail2 in kdepim 4.6+.  Since
that will involve a conversion anyway, I'd personally suggest switching
to something like claws-mail instead, as I did.

Meanwhile, back to pan and your issue at hand...

Unfortunately you don't mention ANYTHING about what version of pan you're
running so there's no hint of how current the code you're using is.  If
you were using pan on this list via gmane.org's list2news service (as I
am), I'd be able to check your headers and see what version of pan you're
running, but of course as mentioned above, that says kmail.  Oh, well...

If you're running anything earlier than the latest pan release, 0.135,
I'd suggest you upgrade.

But even 0.135 is nearing a year old and lacks the most recent and quite
exciting indeed new features, binary POSTING (over a decade waiting on
that), automated actions based on scoring to finally replace the missing
since 0.14.x era rules (that was about half a decade of waiting!), SSL/TLS
secure connection support, etc.  FWIW, Heinrich Mueller has been the one
implementing most of this, originally in his experimental versions, with
Petr Kovar managing the releases and KHaley being the one that first
picked it up where Charles Kerr left off, doing much of the early work
that brought pan back to life, attracting the other two.

Right now, all that's only available with a git clone (from the main pan
git repo as hosted by gnome) and build from sources, but pan seems to
have been doing pretty much annual releases for a few years now, and a
release sometime this summer with at least part of these features,
depending on how they've stabilized, is planned.  It'd be the first week
of August if the annual release pattern continues.

FWIW, I've not seen anything like your problem reported with current git-
pan or even 0.135, current release, but while I do track this list, I
haven't yet gotten back to following pan's bugs at bugzilla like I used
to, so it's possible I've missed it.  But definitely, I'd suggest
upgrading to at least 0.135 and preferably build from git and try that.
If the problem still exists there, then we need to worry, but with luck,
it's gone now.