pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] squished headers pane columns

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] squished headers pane columns
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 02:15:55 +0000 (UTC)

thufir posted on Mon, 01 Oct 2012 23:06:21 +0000 as excerpted:

> I've done a clean install of Ubuntu 12.10 and have a few kinks to work
> out.

Did you keep your home dir and configure it to be reused with the new
setup?  If so, it's possible the problem is there.  Pan's data-dir
default (if the PAN_HOME variable isn't set, if it is, it uses that) is
~/.pan2.  With pan not running, try moving that dir elsewhere and
starting pan.  Of course you won't have your config, but all you're doing
is checking to see if pan resets itself to something logical when it
doesn't have an existing config, or not.  If that works, then you know
it's some issue with your user's pan config, and you/we can go from
there.  If that's still screwed up, try with a clean user config (either
create a new user and try it there, or move your whole user dir away).
It could be a gtk user-config issue, not a pan user-config issue.  If a
clean user doesn't fix it either, then the problem must be either pan or
distro specific.

Regardless, hopefully the below will work, or if pan's OK with a new
config, you can try copying files from the backup to the newly created dir
a few at a time, and isolate where the problem is.  (For something like
this, I'd guess preferences.xml if it's pan, since AFAIK that stores
various widget sizes too, and that's what seems to be screwed up.)

> One oddity is that Pan can display either Subject or Date but not both
> in the header pane.  On the same computer, it used to work fine, there
> would be a subject column and a date (and author, etc) columns.
>
> In preferences | Headers if more than one column is selected, only one
> of those columns is available.
>
> The scrollbar at the bottom does scroll horizontally, but will only show
> a single column at a time.
>
> I'm using LXDE now instead of whatever weird GNOME 3 "unity" thing
> Ubuntu installs by default, probably that's the problem, but thought I'd
> ask here first.

I assume you're using a gtk3-based pan.  I'm using gtk2 and don't know if
it differs, but here, each column-width is configurable.  At the top of
the columns where the column titles are, if I hover over a division
between columns while moving the mouse slightly this way and that, the
mouse pointer turns into a double-headed east/west pointing arrow.  If
while it's an arrow, I click and drag east/west, it grabs the column
divider and drags it, thus changing the width of the column to the left,
while moving all those to the right of the pointer over.  Thus, it's
possible by starting at the left, to change each column in turn, to best
use the space.

FWIW in some apps you can drag a whole column, thus changing the order,
as well, but pan uses the prefs/headers listing for that instead, and
doesn't have the drag-whole-column active, apparently.

Of course it's also possible to simply click a column to sort by it, then
click it again to reverse the sort order.

The other possibility... you DID double-check to ensure that you're
running at the same desktop resolution, right?  If you're running a lower
resolution, then things will be bigger and take more room on screen.

And you didn't mention it so I'd assume the font is similar sized, but if
it's massively bigger/smaller, due to a screwed up DPI setting either
before or after your upgrade, that could be it too.