pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] article-cache v 0.139

From: alandtaylor
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] article-cache v 0.139
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 19:17:23 -0400

In paper-tape days, nul or null was all zeros - or on the actual physical tape,
all holes.  (One might think that each hole was an "on" bit or binary 1 but not
so.)  The concept was,  I think, that you could correct a tape by repunching
the bad character so that spot was all holes.  I think this was for both
five-bit and eight-bit tapes.  Just a bit of trivia.