pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Trying to use 'new' Pan

From: Maurice Batey
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Trying to use 'new' Pan
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 13:01:52 +0100

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 02:19:13 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> it fetches the group from ALL servers that have it
> available, ...
> Pan doesn't have any idea which of them
> you want to post to unless it is told, ... It simply does what it is told
> by the posting profile.

  So if I don't know which server it got it from, how am I supposed to be
able to tell Pan where to post a reply?
   (I guess tha answer is that it doesn't matter which server I give it as
long as that server carries that group.)

> So pan simply tracks whether the server has that group or not.  If it
> doesn't, it'll warn you before the post goes thru, and you can either
> cancel the posting attempt and change the profile,

   Well, OK, then so if I have misrembered a valid target server it's a
simple matter to try another profile...

I'm still puzzled that Pan doesn't make a note - with each group in the
group list - of which server the group was found on. All it would need is
an index into the list of profiles, at the time when it first fetches the
list of groups on each server, as each server is defined at initial setup.

However, given that it doesn't, I would have been happy to provide it
with a lookup table of groups v. servers, so it could do the lookup
instead of me!

--
/\/\aurice